Saturday 26 May 2007

Beware long rant ahead

Anyway had our psychologist appointment last week, went well not a lot to report there, but we did discuss Chris going to school maybe one more block a week, so had a meeting last Wednesday with the current school he is enrolled in. Well we had it at 8.30am so that his teacher could come for 10 minutes well she was not there, not even sure if she knew it was on so not blaming her at this stage. Anyway had the meeting with the SENCO (Deputy Principle) and health school teacher and Chris and I, well I held my mouth shut for most of it then walked out and burst into tears. We are still waiting on GSE so no funding yet for a teacher aid. What a bloody waste of time, I really feel like they can not be bothered - I said to them that I would be attending school with Chris like I do for tech. until I know he feels OK about school, they said yes it would be a good idea to go for one or two sessions, I said it would be a lot more than that, I would continue to go until the psychologist and I both thought he was emotionally stable enough to cope alone. I also mentioned I had done teacher aid work for 5 years and have the teacher aid certificate etc.... and considering he is in a class of 32 low achievers I said I was more than happy to help the other kids but still be there for Chris if needed. The reason being I can pick up the tics well before they get to bad, I know when he is about to have an anxiety attack. They basically told me that that was not possible because they wanted to keep the class as normal as possible, fine keep the class as normal as possible and let the kids struggle. I said I was not risking Chris going back to where he was 18 months ago and they had no idea what it was like. GGGGRRRRR. Not once in 6 months has the school bothered to contact me how Chris is getting on, and also in that time I had never meet the SENCO even though he had been in our Tech class but never bothered to introduce himself to us. Anyway walked out and burst into tears and decided that that school was not for Chris, I mean to say 900 students 2 teacher aids in the whole school no other kids with special needs, why because they all go to Tauranga Intermediate. Anyway was talking to the health school teacher and asked her if I was being overprotective.... I am beginning to doubt myself as a parent. Anyway got home and rung the Tauranga Intermediate and made an appointment to see them Thursday, had a meeting with the SENCO there and she was a lovely lady, introduced herself to Chris , spoke to Chris, asked him if he had any questions, she then spent the next 20 minutes showing us around the school. Such a difference in attitude, and they have a roll of 1200 but about 15 teacher aids. They also have ORRS funded children, other children with all different levels of special needs etc. Chris felt much more comfortable in this school. So before we left we placed his name down on the list for out of zone kids and find out in October, for next year. This year we will just continue to do the tech classes and wait for GSE to see if they can help in anyway. If not then I will get another SPELD assessment done on him towards the end of the year so that Tauranga Intermediate have something to go on. I just feel that at this school even if we don't get funding that they are better equipped to accommodate Chris and his needs. And that was the school he chose out of the two. I know no school is going to be perfect.......
Still waiting on GSE apparently they are way behind in assessing Chris because they are short of case workers.........
Anyway onto other things horse riding is still going great........
Steph is a lovely pink cast now with glitter and is allowed to do a bit of horse riding now......
Oh yeah heard from the Women's Weekly and they are publishing my letter to the editor.

Chris favourite mouse has a sore foot and he has been stressing the poor kids tics have gone way up again. Anyway just to end a photo of his mouse.

No comments: