Tuesday 13 March 2007

March 2007

Chris had started Concerta about 3 weeks ago, as we found the Ritalin/Rubifin combination was just not working, there were to many highs and lows throughout the day, this did not make a happy household. Anyway the Concerta is working fantastic especially once it kicks in about 11am, before that he was easily distracted etc, so we went back to the psychiatrist last week, and have added Rubifen (quick release) as from yesterday, what a difference, the school work has been bliss....

Ok I suppose I should do a bit of an update where we are at before I babble on to much.

Chris is currently tri enrolled, under the Northern Hospital School, Correspondence School and the local Intermediate. He has a teacher from the hospital school that comes once a week for an hour or so, and she brings the correspondence stuff - he is also going 3 hours a week to the local intermediate for technology classes, I currently go along as his teacher aid. We are just about to put in applications for a part time teacher aid for Chris so he can attend school more regularly rather than me go with him. But anyone who has dealt with GSE (Group Special Ed) know what a battle that is, and it is even harder to get funding if your child comes under Mental Health or Neurological. We pulled him out of school nearly a year ago, due to his OCD and getting teased and bullied at school for his tics. I certainly wont forget the nights after nights we had this time last year with the tears and hating life so much he did not want to be here. I also wont forget the time he came home from school with a bleeding mouth where some little punks smacked him in the mouth.

Chris is currently on meds for his OCD and ADHD, (this is our decision so please respect it) and is on Fluxotine, Concerta, and Rubifen. We had tried him on meds for his tics but the side effects outweighed the benefit of the meds so was soon off them. He is under CAMHS (Child Adolescent Mental Health Services) which I have to say have been fantastic.

In 12 months Chris has come along way - I now see a kid that smiles again, and plays jokes on us all the time, and is actually enjoying life. He has started horse riding. and loves it, I can't help but shed a quiet tear when I see him on the horse and a smile so huge........... Steph his twin also does horse riding and loves it to which is great. He loves being home doing correspondence school, he bought himself some mice which he adores....... he also loves home, because he can tic to his hearts content and know no-one will laugh at him.

Right now he feels safe and this is a great place to be, but life will not always supply a safe place for him, so we need to start SLOWLY taking him out of his comfort zone, and I say slowly as I do not want him to go back to the kid he was a year ago. So this journal will continue from now where I will be discussing the ups and downs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there... I found your site refreshing and informative. Thank you for taking the time to share your personal information. My daughter has ADHD and I don't know much about rubifin. In fact, before last week, I had never heard of it. Can you share anything about this drug and your experience with it... mg? etc... thanks so much. Terry in Atlanta